Tuesday, June 1

Intern, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Governor


Grant Recipient: Leif Jacobsen, Class of 2012
Major: Government/Sociology
Organization: Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Governor
Location: Boston, MA

This summer, I am working in the Massachusetts' Governor's Office. I am involved in many of the day-to-day operations that make state government functional. On most days, I assist with background checks on potential cabinet nominees, review applications for one-day marriage designations, and reply to constituent' concerns. I have also sat in on Governor's Council meetings or attended State House events. The fact that my desk is in the heart of the Massachusetts State House is, even after six weeks of work, still extremely cool. I had hoped that this internship would provide me with a window into how government actually functions, which it has, but I hadn't expected to also be so centrally involved. It has exceeded my expectations, and I'm confident that it will serve as a launching pad should I wish to embark on a career in the public sector.