Tuesday, June 1

Mental Health Intern, Basic Needs, Uganda


Grant Recipient: Class of 2011
Major: Government
Organization: Basic Needs
Location: Kampala, Uganda

My summer internship has been enlightening. I have been working at Basic Needs, a UK based organization that aims to improve the lives of persons with mental disabilities. For the past two months, I have visited health centres and the mental health institute in Uganda so as to fully understand the provision of mental health services. While the situation is still dire, it has been great to see the effects of the work of the organization particularly in raising consciousness about the human rights of persons with mental disabilities and how it has bolstered the advocacy efforts of persons with mental disabilities. I have also had the opportunity to interact with key persons within the arena of mental health and human rights and to gain an in-depth understanding of the human rights approach to mental health and disorders. One of my first tasks was to read existing international and national legislation and policies pertaining to mental health in Uganda. After going to the field and seeing what is actually on the ground, I was able to design a human rights training manual which is still in its draft phase and I have also written a draft proposal on how to finance health care for persons with mental disabilities in the rural areas. I also had the opportunity to attend a meeting on the African court on human rights and to network with key human right lawyers in Uganda. The knowledge I have received will be useful as I pursue a career in human rights law. As I conclude my internship, I only wish I had more time. This summer exceeded my expectations and I am thankful to the summer experience grant for making this possible.