Tuesday, June 1

Development and Production Intern, Focus Features


Grant Recipient: Rebecca Choi, Class of 2011
Major: Film Studies and Music
Organization: Focus Features
Location: Los Angeles, CA

This summer I have been taking a class on global cinema at UCLA as well as interning in the Production and Development department of Focus Features. The class has been really eye-opening because the UCLA department has a completely different approach to teaching film, and it has both encouraged me to broaden the way I think about cinema and made me appreciate Wesleyan's program that much more. Working at Focus Features has also been a valuable and really fun learning experience. First of all, Focus is an incredible work environment, because everyone there is so open to answering questions, considering the interns' opinions about upcoming projects, and giving guidance for career development in the film industry. I work directly under two major executives – Samantha Pickett, the Director of Production Development, and Mike Pruss, a Creative Executive – both of whom have been great mentors. My responsibilities include general intern duties like answering phones and making copies, but I also get to read a ton of scripts and see raw footage of upcoming movies. The quality of the materials I get to read at Focus is pretty amazing, and it will be so exciting to watch these films when they actually come out in theaters! In my spare time I have been trying to explore different areas of Los Angeles, and have visited Santa Monica, Venice, and Downtown LA. So far this has been an incredible summer and I am excited to bring these experiences with me when I return to Wesleyan in the fall.