Tuesday, June 1

Research and Event Intern, Mercy for Animals


Grant Recipient: Class of 2012
Major: Anthropology
Organization: Mercy for Animals
Location: Columbus, OH

This summer I am working with Mercy for Animals, a national non-profit organization advocating for compassion and respect towards farm animals. During my first month as an intern, I primarily worked on an historic ballot initiative campaign which would eradicate intensive confinement systems in factory farms, helping millions of farm animals in Ohio. My work primarily consisted of doing research, coordinating volunteers, and working in the field to gather signatures. Working on the campaign was exciting and interesting every single day and I learned a lot about what it actually takes to pass legislation. After the campaign ended in July, my days have been primarily spent working on Mercy for Animals' standard outreach programs. I've helped to organize feed-ins and other outreach events and interfaced with local businesses and libraries to distribute literature. This has been a great introduction to the work of a non-profit which is primarily focused on education and outreach, but although this work has been fun, I feel like I learned a lot more during the first month.

The photograph I've included is of Mercy for Animals marching in the Columbus Pride Parade. This experience is among my favorites because it was a demonstrated attempt to focus on the intersections of oppression. As our banner reads: "No one is free while others are oppressed." This experience has been incredibly eye-opening and will surely guide my understandings and decisions in the future. I am so grateful for the generous CRC grant which facilitated this opportunity.