Tuesday, June 1

Architecture Intern, Nelson/Nygaard Consulting Associates


Grant Recipient: Stephanie Lee, Class of 2011 Major: Anthropology & Studio Art
Organization: Nelson/Nygaard Consulting Associates

Location: New York, NY


Working with transit planners and an architect has certainly helped me understand both urban planning and design. It was exciting to see how transit design is implemented both in the local and urban sector as well as the national and international level. I have been interested in streetscape design, traffic calming, and walkable communities, so this has been a perfect place to explore my career. I have been helping out the head architect in drawing 3D models, diagrams and cross sections for various places from Abu Dhabi, UAE to New York City itself. It has been great to utilize the graphic programs that I’ve learned in the past but it was also exciting to learn and adapt to new programs such as Vector Works. Another fun task was biking around the city to document the existing and newly placed bike lanes in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Transit System Design was something that I knew little about, but the firm has helped me see how transportation serves as an instrumental role in urban design.