Tuesday, June 1

Education and Outreach Intern, Food & Water Watch

Grant Recipient: Sophie Ackoff, Class of 2011

Major: Biology

Organization: Food & Water Watch

Location: Washington, DC

Food & Water Watch is a non-profit consumer advocacy organization based in DC that fights for clean water and safe food. I’m working in the Education and Outreach Department to build our local DC support base by planning film screenings and tabling at local farmers’ markets. I help to garner support for all of our critical campaigns, from our Renew America's Water Campaign to create a dedicated source of federal funding to improve our nation's water infrastructure to our Farm Bill Campaign to make our nation's food policy bill fairer for small farmers. I’m knocking states off my to-see list by planning the Chef Rocky Road Trip: an outreach trip through the mid-west to connect with communities active in the local food movement and to advocate for our Farm Bill Campaign. To top it all off, I just spent an amazing weekend representing Food & Water Watch at two Jack Johnson concerts, where we got over 600 postcards signed. I'm psyched to have landed this internship working for an organization that is focused on such key issues! I'm interested in a career in the non-profit sector working on food policy issues, and Food & Water Watch is a great organization to learn from.