Tuesday, June 1

Animation Intern, Mr. Black Animation


Grant Recipient: Joel Salda, Class of 2011

Major: American Studies
Organization: Mr. Black Animation
Location: Newport, RI

Because it is a small animation shop, I have a ton of responsibility. So far, I am learning to use Lightwave, a 3d computer animation software used by professionals in Hollywood. I have edited sound for a naval battleship scene, animated three characters, modeled civil war props, and created photo-realistic textures for the props. What amazes me is that the work I am doing will be going into an animation for a client and that I am gaining real work experience. It has been a very steep learning curve but very rewarding. When I can’t figure something out, my boss is always willing to give me a tutorial. I really love my internship. This experience has only reaffirmed my desire to go into the animation field after graduation.


About the picture: I was animating a man who had a lantern and needed to know certain things about the lantern. How much it weighed? How much does it swing when you move with it? What does its texture look like?