Tuesday, June 1

Research Assistant, Florida State University’s College of Medicine

Grant Recipient: Class of 2011

Major: Neuroscience and Behavior

Organization: Florida State University College of Medicine

Location: Tallahassee, FL


Working in a lab at Florida State University’s College of Medicine has been a great opportunity for me to acquire first hand experience in translational research in neuroscience. I have spent my internship working primarily on a project investigating sex differences in Huntington’s disease. More specifically, the research project has focused on the neuroprotective properties of certain gender-specific hormones in affected brains. My work thus far has been centered on tissue preparation of transgenic mice brains, as well neuronal analysis and data collection. Working in the College of Medicine under the direction of one of the programs founding faculty members has also allowed me to attend various case studies and lectures for first and second year medical students, affording me a better understanding of a medical student’s lifestyle. Overall, this internship has never been tedious. I feel that already I have obtained a considerable skill set of laboratory techniques as well as insight into my own future pursuits.